Schools of Missionary Discipleship
Welcome to the Schools of Missionary Discipleship! The purpose of these schools is two-fold: to be formed more deeply in your friendship with Jesus Christ (discipleship) and to be equipped with the skills for helping others come to encounter Jesus’ great love for them (mission). The Schools of Missionary Discipleship draw heavily from The Catholic Leadership Institute’s Parish Missionary Disciples course and we are greatly indebted to CLI for training us and sharing their content with us. Supplemental content for the course is taken from FOCUSEquip.org.
Click the menu bars below to learn more about course content. To register, please click the Register button below.
Part 1, School of Discipleship
Part 1, The School of Discipleship
Part 1, the School of Discipleship, will help you grow deeper in personal friendship with Jesus through prayer and personal conversion. Each session consists of: teaching, prayer, discussion and engaging activities that will help you practice what you have learned.
Session 1: The Urgency of the New Evangelization
• Introduction to the Church’s vision for evangelization and missionary discipleship
• How to pray Lectio Divina, a simple way to hear God’s voice speaking to you through the Scriptures
Session 2: Who is Jesus and Why Did He Come?
• Rediscovering the kerygma, the core Gospel message of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus
• Opportunity to examine your relationship with Jesus and pray about next steps to grow deeper
Session 3: Friendship with God
• Learning how prayer and the interior life are the foundation of missionary discipleship
• How to pray fruitfully in front of the Blessed Sacrament
Session 4: The Cost of Discipleship
• How to cultivate a supernatural outlook on trials and suffering to make them fruitful
• The radical demands of the Gospel on our personal lives (morality) and the power of Confession
Session 5: The Power of Intercession
• The missionary power of intercession
• The intercessory power of Our Lady
• How to pray the Rosary to access its full fruits for oneself and others
Session 6: Praying with Others
• The importance of spontaneous prayer for our spiritual lives
• How to pray spontaneously with someone
Part 2, School of Mission
Part 2, School of Mission
“…and I will make you fishers of men.” (Mark 1:17)
After participating in the School of Discipleship, participants are invited to register for Part 2, the School of Mission. These six sessions will equip you with the skills you need to go forth as “fishers of men,” seeking to win souls with and for Jesus. Each session consists of: teaching, prayer, discussion and engaging activities that will help you practice what you have learned.
Session 7: Making Missionary Disciples
• The path of making missionary disciples
• The characteristics and needs of someone at each stage of becoming a missionary disciple
Session 8: Intentional Accompaniment, Part 1
• Winning souls for Christ: the thresholds of conversion and understanding where someone “is” spiritually to help them move forward
• Intentional friendship and investing in others
Session 9: Intentional Accompaniment, Part 2
• Skills for proactive listening
• Best practices for transformative conversations
Session 10: Sharing the Gospel with Others
• A review of kerygma (the core message of the Gospel)
• How to share the kerygma with others when the time is right
Session 11: Sharing Your Personal Testimony
• How personal testimony intersects with kerygma
• Crafting your personal testimony
• How to share your personal testimony with someone
Session 12: Going Forth
• Creating your discipleship action plan
• The Holy Spirit as the primary agent of evangelization
• Cultivating dependence on the Holy Spirit and praying with one another for the Holy Spirit’s gifts
Registration: Part 2, School of Mission
Please note: It is necessary to have attended Part 1, School of Discipleship, in order to attend Part 2, School of Mission.
- Part 2, School of Mission: Thursdays, Sept 14, 28, Oct 12, 19, Nov 9 and 30, 9:15am-12:15pm at St. Charles Borromeo Parish Hall, Drexel Hill (Click here for the flyer)
- Cost: $50 for Part 2, The School of Mission – Click the button below to register for the course.
- Includes: Six sessions, participants’ guide, drinks and snacks for each meeting.
This course is also available in Spanish. Please email Paola Herrera for details.
The Schools of Missionary Discipleship are made possible through a grant from The Ambassador’s Fund for Catholic Education.