As the Father has sent me, so I send you.
Who Should Be on the Team?
To understand the mission of an evangelization team, it is first necessary to understand the mission of Jesus Christ himself. The word “mission” comes from the Latin word missio, which means “sending.” Frequently in the Scriptures, Jesus identifies himself simply as “the One whom the Father has sent.” Jesus never separates his proclamation of the Gospel from his identity as the Son who is sent by the Father.
Like Christ, our work in service to the new evangelization must be deeply characterized by this same sense of missio. We are first and foremost those who are sent by Jesus Christ and this, as an extension of Christ’s own being sent by the Father. This means that our vocation to evangelization is fundamentally something that we have first received. We are not masters of our work, but instead we are stewards of a work entrusted to us by God. As Christ comes from the Father and comes not to do his own will but “the will of Him who sent me”, so we enter our ministry with a firm detachment from our own will and a strong desire to be in service to God’s will.
Our service to God’s will is not an abstract concept, but takes form as service to the Church in all of her fullness: her teachings, her hierarchical structure, her liturgical life, etc…. Therefore, members of an evangelization team should express in their lives these marks of authentic discipleship:
- Continual deepening in understanding of and living the Church’s teachings on faith and morality
- Regular reception of the sacraments, particularly the Holy Eucharist and Confession
- A life of self-giving love according to one’s state of life
- A mature and regular life of prayer
In service to the evangelization coordinators and teams of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, the Office for the New Evangelization offers various resources to help you build, maintain, and grow a fruitful evangelization ministry. Please see below for excellent resources to assist you!
Forming Your Team
These resources offer solid Catholic evangelization formation for your team.
- Guide: How to Start an Evangelization Ministry in Your Parish
- Choosing people who are FACT – Faithful, Available, Contagious, Teachable
- Forming Intentional Disciples, Sherry Weddell, Book and Study Guide
- Relit: The Heart of Evangelization, Ministry23, Video series
- St. Paul School of Evangelization video courses
- Vatican and USCCB documents on evangelization
- Introduction to the New Evangelization presentation offered by the Office for the New Evangelization
Networking and Support
D/CAFFE Networking Meetings – Visit our Events page for upcoming meetings
(D/CAFFE=Directors/Coordinators of Adult Faith Formation and Evangelization)